People Group/ City Profile: Deane is an unincorporated community located in Letcher County, Kentucky. The quaint little church is located in the Appalachian Mountains and has a shallow stream next to it (which provides lots of fun for the mission team children). The culture is Appalachian, and the people are friendly and welcoming, very similar to our own surrounding areas of Corbin. Deane Baptist Church has a small congregation of older members who benefit from assistance with their Bible School effort each year.
Team Leaders: Randy & Nolia Flynn
ibcGO Project Focus: The focus of this project is reach the lost for Christ. This is done by canvassing the community for potential candidates for a three-day Mission Vacation Bible School. Activities include transporting the children to and from Mission Bible School held at the church. Conducting a typical VBS with Bible stories, crafts, recreation, and refreshments. Other activities include visiting with locals during a yearly reunion called the Buck Creek Reunion. This visitation provides many opportunities for evangelism. Other missional activities include small home repair or lawn projects for elderly people in the community.
Location: Deane, Kentucky
Dates: July 24-27, 2019
Maximum Team Size: 25
Estimated Trip Costs: $25 per person
Snacks, personal purchases
Family – Friendly
All ages are welcome
Trip Requirements (All forms available at ibccorbin.com/missions)
· $25 deposit required at first team meeting. (meeting will be scheduled by team leader)
· Active participation in all sessions of ibcGO Training – approximately 8 hours with approximately 4 additional hours of partnership-specific cross-cultural training
· Building Prayer & Financial Partners for the partnership (samples of prayer & support letters available on ibccorbin.com/missions)
· Adherence to all ibcGO mission trip policies as described in Team Member Application Project
· All participants are encouraged to attend Immanuel Baptist church VBS to be familiar with the curriculum and activities, preferable in the area you prefer to serve in Mission VBS,
· Housing will be at church, sleeping on the floor with mattresses (church provides some). Accommodations for families will try and be honored. Single ladies/men and multiple children may be assigned to boys/girls rooms.
· All meals will be provided by the church membership in the church dining area’ Storage is available for personal refrigerated/frozen items and personal snacks may be taken and even encouraged to defray expenses for the church.
· Immunizations – Please consult your physician. Tetanus recommended.