People Group/ City Profile: Deane is an unincorporated community located in Letcher County, Kentucky. The quaint little church is located in the Appalachian Mountains and has a shallow stream next to it (which provides lots of fun for the mission team children). The culture is Appalachian and the people are friendly and welcoming, very similar to our own surrounding areas of Corbin. Deane Baptist Church has a small congregation of older members who benefit from assistance with their Bible School effort each year.
Team Leaders: Johnnie and Maxine Bunch
ibcGO Project Focus: The focus of this project is first and foremost to reach the lost for Christ. We do this by canvassing the community for potential candidates for a three-day Mission Vacation Bible School. Activities include transporting the children to the Mission Bible School at Deane Baptist Church and home again, and conducting a typical VBS with Bible stories, crafts, recreation, and refreshments. Other activities often include visiting with the locals during a yearly reunion called the Buck Creek Reunion. This visitation provides many opportunities for evangelism. Other activities sometimes include small home repair or lawn projects for elderly people in the community.
Location: Deane, KY
Dates: July 26-July 28, 2018
Maximum Team Size: 25
Estimated Trip Costs: $25 person
Snacks, personal purchases
Family – Friendly
All ages are welcome
Trip Requirements (All forms available at ibccorbin.com/missions)
- Completion of IBC Project 1:8 Team Member Application ($25 deposit required with application)
- Active participation in all sessions of ibcGO Training – approximately 10 hours with approximately 4 additional hours of partnership-specific cross-cultural training
- Building Prayer & Financial Partners for the partnership (samples of prayer & support letters available on ibccorbin.com/missions)
- Adherence to all ibcGO mission trip policies as described in Team Member Application Project
- All participants are encouraged to attend Immanuel Baptist Church VBS to be familiar with the curriculum and activities, preferably in the area you would prefer to serve in the Mission VBS.
- Housing will be at the church, sleeping on the floor with mattresses provided. Families will try to be accommodated together. Single ladies/men and multiple children may be assigned to boys/girls rooms.
- All meals will be provided by the church membership in the church dining area. Storage is available for personal refrigerated/frozen items and personal snacks may be taken and even encouraged to defray expenses for the church.
- Immunizations – Please consult your physician. Tetanus recommended.