Quilombolas are the largest unreached people group of Brasil. Far less than 2% of the 2.2+ million Quilombolas have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. As the modern day descendants of escaped slaves who continue living in small, isolated communities, most Quilombola communities continue to have very limited access to the Gospel because of geographical and societal barriers.
Team Leader: Joey Koogler
IBCgo Project Focus: Coming alongside of Brazilian Baptists who are working to plant churches in Quilombola communities in the region of Acara by Bible storying in homes, prayer walking, conducting community worship services, & participating in worship service with Brazilian church partners.
Location: Belém do Pará, Brasil
Dates: June 20-29, 2019
Maximum Team Size: 10
Estimated Trip Costs: $2,100 including airfare, travel insurance, & all in country expenses
Additional Expenses: Immunizations, Passport fees, personal purchases & some US travel meals.
Family – Friendly: Families are encouraged to participate, but due to the rigors of the trip, small children will find it difficult
Trip Requirements (All forms available at ibccorbin.com/missions)
· Completion of IBC Project 1:8 Team Member Application
· $200 deposit required at first team meeting (meeting will be scheduled by team leader)
· Active participation in all sessions of ibcGO Training – approximately 8 hours with approximately 4 additional hours of partnership-specific cross-cultural training
· Building Prayer & Financial Partners for the partnership (samples of prayer & support letters available on ibccorbin.com/missions)
· Adherence to all ibcGO mission trip policies as described in Team Member Application Project
· Housing will be a combination of host homes and a community center. While in Quilombola communities, participants will be using hammocks with mosquito netting.
· Immunizations – Please consult your physician. You may also consult the CDC site for Brasil. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinatins/traveler/vfr/brazil. Please allow sufficient time.
· Passport is required & should be obtained prior to March 15 to allow time for Visa process. Start early! http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports.html