How to have a successful fast:
1. Start cutting back on caffeine before January 3.
2. Participate as an entire family, that the entire family might be blessed, plus it is much easier to sacrifice when you are all sacrificing.
3. Kids can participate, and should.
4. To get all God has for you in the fast you probably need to fast more than food, i.e. facebook, phone, T.V. etc. All of these are a distraction.
5. Talk about it each week in Life Group.
6. Get together with friends once a week for a meal.
7. Stay physically active.
8. Spend extra time in prayer and Bible reading.
9. Don’t announce that you are fasting at work or school, but don’t lie. The Bible instructs us not to be boisterous about our fasting, but we shouldn’t hide it either.
You don’t have to spend a lot of money on food, be as simple as you can. Eat to live, don’t live to eat.